In 2022, the European pet food market surged to EUR 29.1 billion (USD 31.1 billion), boasting an impressive average annual growth rate of 5.1% over the past three years, as per the European Pet Food Industry Federation (FEDIAF) report. This growth was propelled by European pet owners who collectively purchased 10.5 million tonnes (11.6 million US tons) of pet food products, marking a robust 3.5% annual increase. The continent housed 150 pet food companies, with operations spanning 200 facilities and providing livelihoods for 118,000 individuals.
The European pet food industry’s landscape extends widely from the North Sea to the Atlantic, surrounding the Mediterranean, and inland. The region is home to a diverse array of pet food companies. The top 10 Europe-based pet food makers, based on their annual revenues for 2022, are outlined below:
- United Petfood (Belgium) – USD 800 million: Known for private-labeling dry and wet pet food, as well as treats and snacks, United Petfood operates in 8 countries with 19 manufacturing facilities and a global presence in over 80 countries.
- Partner in Pet Food (Hungary) – USD 755 million: Operating from Hungary, this European pet food producer serves retailers, discounters, specialty pet retailers, and online specialists in 38 countries. They manufacture a complete range of dry, wet, and semi-moist cat and dog food, with nine production facilities across four countries.
- Agrolimen SA (Spain) – USD 753 million: Based in Barcelona, Spain, Agrolimen SA’s subsidiary, Affinity Petcare, is a leading European supplier of foods for dogs and cats. They also have joint ventures with raw food manufacturers, including Natures Menu.
- Deuerer (Germany) – USD 750 million: A private-label manufacturer in Germany, Deuerer also owns major European pet food manufacturers such as Vitakraft, Pets Choice, and Villeneuve Pet Food. The company’s sales reach Asia and North America.
- Heristo AG (Germany) – USD 700 million: Heristo AG owns the Saturn Petcare Group, which includes private-label giant Saturn Petcare and Animonda Petfood, with manufacturing plants in Germany, the Netherlands, and the United States. The company offers a diverse range of products.
- Affinity Petcare SA (Spain) – USD 520 million: A subsidiary of Agrolimen SA, Affinity Petcare is a leading company in dog and cat nutrition in Spain and other European countries. They supply products to over 20 countries.
- Monge & C. S.p.A. (Italy) – USD 500 million: The largest Italian pet food producer, Monge operates a vast production and logistics complex, delivering products throughout Italy and serving pet food markets in over 100 countries worldwide.
- C & D Foods (Ireland) – USD 495 million: Among the leading European manufacturers of private-label pet food, C & D Foods produces a wide range of formats, totaling over 675,000 metric tons per year.
- Farmina Pet Foods (Italy) – USD 367 million: A pet nutrition company with a global presence, Farmina is active in more than 70 countries.
- Vafo Group (Czech Republic) – USD 350 million: This privately owned company specializes in premium and super-premium pet food and supplements, distributing to over 70 countries worldwide. In addition to its own brands, it offers private-label services.
These companies collectively contribute to the growth and vibrancy of the European pet food industry